Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sports Cake

What I really wanted to title this post was.. balls balls balls, but since I laughed when I thought about it I figured maybe I shouldn't.


I got a request for a chocolate cake with different types of balls on it. I had made a football cake before, but this was a new challenge.
I made a 9 x 13 sheet cake and a lot of buttercream frosting. I colored it: leaf green, copper, no taste red and made a little bit of chocolate frosting that I colored black. I piped the green all over and used the other colors for the balls.
I shaped the balls with rice krispy treats. I was going to make the treats myself, but ran out of time so I just used the store bought ones. This was my first time playing with the rice krispys, as well, and they are much easier to shape than I thought they would be.
After I got the desired shape, I put it in on a toothpick in the foam (the same one I use for the lollies) and frosted with the star tip. This took a bit of time, but wasn't very difficult.
After I had all the pieces I transferred them onto the cake and piped Happy Birthday!

At first I thought of just buying the balls made out of plastic, but it's so much better when you can eat every part of the cake.

1 comment:

  1. The kids loved the cake.. I just showed them. I want to order hello kitty for Mias birthday sooooo be ready :)

    ReplyDelete